Comprehensive Conservation Planning
CBU comment. It is important for the public to comment to maintain historic recreational, agriculture,and natural resource management in these areas.
The CCP for Charles M. Russell NWR is a 15-year plan that will address habitat conservation and wildlife-dependent recreational uses.
The staff at Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge is embarking on an important multi-year process to develop a comprehensive conservation plan (CCP) and environmental impact statement (EIS) for the refuge including UL Bend National Wildlife Refuge. A CCP (as it is commonly referred to) provides long-range guidance and management direction for the refuge’s programs. Your ideas and comments are an important part of the process, and we invite you to participate. Throughout the process, we will provide information on this website about upcoming public meetings or workshops and we’ll post project documents as they become available. Additionally, you can request to be placed on the project mailing list or submit comments by following the links.
Click on the link to the planning involvement summary to learn more about the CCP process and how you can be involved.
We are excited to announce that the draft CCP and EIS is now available for public review and comment. Scroll down this page for links to download the document or see the public meeting schedule. Public involvement has been an integral part of the planning process, and the draft CCP and EIS addresses the significant issues that we have heard about during the planning process. There are many ways for you to provide your comments—written letters, emails, or by attending one of seven upcoming meetings. The deadline for all comments is November 16, 2010.
Each meeting that we will hold across Montana from late September to mid October, 2010 will include a brief overview of the draft CCP and EIS. Following this, those who wish to offer public comment may do so. We ask those who wish to offer public comment to sign up when they arrive, and all individuals will be given a few minutes to comment. Staff will be available to answer your questions.
Written comments should be submitted to:
Charles M. Russell NWR Comprehensive Conservation Plan; Attn: Laurie Shannon, Planning Team Leader; P.O. Box 25486, Denver, CO 80225-0486; Tel 303/236-4317 or Fax 303/236-4792.
As you are reviewing the document, please keep in mind that comments on the draft CCP and EIS should be specific and should address the adequacy of the plan, the impact statement, and the merits of the alternatives discussed. In the final CCP and EIS, the Service will respond to all substantive comments. After the comment period ends, we will analyze the comments and address them in the final CCP and EIS. Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment—including your personal identifying information—may be made publically available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
- Meeting dates, times, and locations are:
Billings, September 28, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Billings Hotel and Convention Center, 1223 Mullowney Lane
Bozeman, September 29, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Holiday Inn, 5 East Baxter Lane
Great Falls, September 30, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Best Western Heritage Inn, 1700 Fox Farm Road
Lewistown, October 12, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Yogo Inn, 211 East Main Street
Jordan, October 13, 2:00-4:00 p.m., VFW Post, 11 South Main Street
Glasgow, October 14, 1:00-3:00 p.m., Cottonwood Inn, 45 1st Avenue North
Malta, October 14, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Malta High School, 12 S 9th Street West
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Releases The Draft Comprehensive Conservation Plan For Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge (September 7, 2010)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service To Hold Rescheduled Public Open House In Bozeman, Montana For Comprehensive Conservation Plan For Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge (Februaury 14, 2008)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to Hold a Public Open House For Comprehensive Conservation Plan For Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge (August 18, 2008)
Draft CCPcmr_and EIS (8 MB PDF)
Large-format maps are in separate files below.
High resolution files, by section:
Abstract and Summary(1.3 MB PDF)
CHAPTER 1, Introduction ( PDF)
Figure 6, topographic map (2 MB PDF)
CHAPTER 3, Alternatives (1.8 MB PDF)
Figure 7, alternative A map (1 MB PDF)
Figure 8, alternative B map (1 MB PDF)
Figure 9, alternative C map (1 MB PDF)
Figure 10, alternative D map (1 MB PDF)
Figure 15, water and geography map (1.2 MB PDF)
Figure 16, habitat unit (grazing) map (1.2 MB PDF)
Figure 17, habitat types map (1.2 MB PDF)
Figure 18, fire frequency map (1.1 MB PDF)
CHAPTER 5, Environmental Consequences (1.4 MB PDF)
Figure A, wilderness map (PDF)
- Federal Register Notice: Notice of Availability:Draft comprehensive conservation plan and environmental impact statement; announcement of public meetings; request for comments September 7, 2010
- Summary of Comments on Draft Alternatives. A report of the comments that were received during the fall 2008 draft alternatives meetings held in 7 of the surrounding communities.
- Memorandum of Understanding agreement between the cooperating agencies assisting in the development of the CCP and EIS (3.27 MB, PDF).
- Request for Comments on the intent to prepare a comprehensive conservation plan and an environmental impact statement * comment period extended until February 29, 2008 *
- Scoping Report – April 2008
- Draft Vision and Goals – January 2008
- Federal Register Notice: Notice of intent to prepare a comprehensive conservation plan and environmental impact statement;request for comments – December 2007
Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments will be accepted in writing at: Laurie Shannon, Planning Team Leader, Division of Refuge Planning, P.O. 25486, Denver, CO 80225-0486
Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge
All Images Courtesy of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Unless Specified Otherwise.